The 1920s, also known as the Roaring Twenties, were a time of great social, cultural, and economic change in the United States. From the rise of jazz music to the advent of the flapper, this decade was filled with excitement and innovation. But just how much do you know about this fascinating era? Take our quiz and find out! And if you're stumped, don't worry – we've got the answer key right here.
1. What was the name of the famous trial in which a Tennessee teacher was charged with teaching evolution?
Answer: The Scopes Monkey Trial
2. Who was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic?
Answer: Amelia Earhart
3. Which amendment to the U.S. Constitution banned the sale and consumption of alcohol?
Answer: The 18th Amendment
4. Who was the infamous gangster who led a crime syndicate in Chicago during the 1920s?
Answer: Al Capone
5. What was the name of the movement that sought to ban the teaching of evolution in schools?
Answer: Creationism or Fundamentalism
6. Who was the president of the United States during most of the 1920s?
Answer: Calvin Coolidge
7. What was the name of the African American cultural movement that took place during the 1920s?
Answer: The Harlem Renaissance
8. Which famous novel, published in 1925, chronicled the lives of wealthy young people in New York City?
Answer: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
9. What was the name of the law that restricted immigration to the United States in the 1920s?
Answer: The Immigration Act of 1924
10. Who was the famous silent film actor who starred in classics such as The Gold Rush and City Lights?
Answer: Charlie Chaplin
The Roaring Twenties were a time of great change and excitement in the United States. From the rise of new cultural movements to the prohibition of alcohol, this decade was filled with important events and figures. Take our quiz to test your knowledge of this fascinating era, and use our answer key to see how well you did. And remember – even if you didn't get all the answers right, the Roaring Twenties will always be a fascinating period of history to learn about.